WHAT DOES YOUR FUTURE HOLD?
“The future cannot be predicted, but futures can be invented.”
Why are you here?
Why are you (1) on this page and (2) on this planet?
Hopefully the answer for both has to do with you reaching the goals you find most valuable. In other words, living an intentional life of deep flourishing. If so, great. That’s exactly why UP was created.
Make a bet with yourself
To start living a more intentional life, we’d encourage you to make a bet with yourself: 365 days from now, how likely will you have achieved what is most important to you?
- Think very, very hard about everything you want to do with your life in the next year.
- Capture all of the goals clearly.
- Try to anticipate all of the good and bad things that may influence your outcomes.
- Remember how successful or unsuccessful you were with similar goals last year.
- Imagine you’re a bookie evaluating the odds of a horse winning a race. Also think of how your best friend would rate your chances. And your mother. And your worst enemy.
Now honestly evaluate your odds of success.
Whatever you predict, take a self-video describing the bet to your future self. Also set a calendar reminder to review and evaluate your prediction. Do this exercise in the next 60 seconds or you will likely never get to it. (This is true even if you immediately logged it into your task management system.)
We love you, but we’re betting against you
We sincerely hope you will achieve all of your life goals (as long as they’re ethical). You’re human and have values that we likely share.
But to be perfectly honest, we’re betting against you. If you’re the kind of person that’s motivated by proving someone wrong, please consider this a personal challenge! Go make it happen. And if you’re really confident in yourself, we’d be happy to make a stickK bet with you. If you lose, we’ll donate your money to a high-impact charity. If you win…well you win.
Hint: taking huge amounts of strategic, disciplined action over the next 8,760 hours with an eye towards expected value and intelligently capitalizing on comparative advantage will likely help.
So what next?
That depends enormously on you. Figuring out what to do and in what order is radically complicated and a substantial part of UP. So one clear option is to do UP. Another option is to do an UP-like program on your own. And there are even more alternatives to consider.
This is generic advice, but the following might at least help get you going:
- Predict: Do the aforementioned prediction self-video. If you ignored our previous advice and kept reading, you’re still likely <60 seconds. Ideally do it now or right after you finish reading this page.
- Plan: Hold a personal hackathon to clarify your goals and write realistic plans to achieve them.
- Execute: Schedule milestones into your calendar and begin executing your plans. Update them as reality teaches you what does and doesn’t work.
- Review: Review your results every day, week, month, quarter, year, and decade. Update plans as needed. Don’t give up. Just iterate.
If you want more tailored guidance, please give us a call. We genuinely love talking about all of this, so feel free to reach out with your most complicated and challenging life goals. These calls are currently pro bono, but that will change in time.
In a year…
In a year from now if UP makes sense for you, great. If not, that’s perfectly fine, too. It’s not the right program for >99% of people, for a number of good reasons. We encourage you to just keep moving forward one way or the other.
As a small incentive to take action now, if you do a prediction, evaluate it in a year, and reach out to us to let us know how it went we’ll happily give you a free gift. It’s a surprise, so no asking what it’ll be. Good luck! Or more accurately, good planning and execution!